Food Fan-Girl post

     I'm going to rave about food for a moment here. I promised you food earlier, and failed to deliver, but I am about to make it up to you in this single post. Last night I made the most kick-a$$ burritos for dinner: spicy, tangy, zippy, everything people like me love in Tex-Mex cooking. I take no credit for this. I have a subscription to Rachael Ray magazine. Thank you, Rachael Ray.


7 Layer Burritos


Ingredients

  • 2 cans spicy vegetarian refried beans (16 ounces each)
  • 3/4 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot, to taste
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped, divided
  • 3 jalapeño chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped, divided
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • Salt
  • 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
  • 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 4 large flour tortillas
  • 3/4 pound pepper Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
Serves 4

Preparation

In a medium size saucepan, heat the beans with the stock, hot sauce and cumin over medium-low, stirring until warm, about 10 minutes.

In a medium size bowl, combine half the onion and jalapeños with the lemon juice and garlic. Season with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. Mash in the avocados to make the guacamole.

In a small bowl, toss the remaining onion and jalapeños with the tomatoes and cilantro to make the salsa; season with salt.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add one tortilla and cook until it starts to blister, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Place one tortilla on a work surface. Spread on a quarter of the cheese, some romaine, guacamole, salsa, sour cream and olives. Roll it up, burrito-style. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.

Cut the burritos in half; divide among plates.

This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, visit
www.yum-o.org.





     Somehow my stepson ate 3. It was all I could do to finish one, and I felt like I was going to pop. Fortunately, there are leftovers. I will be having a very happy lunch today. Enjoy!!! (I know I did!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On