So much to do...

and plenty of time! (Only because I'm bound and determined to make sure I can do all this, partly out of professionalism, and partly because I really want all this stuff to work out!!)


     I have had a request from a children's book editor for a non-fiction book I've been chipping away at; ever since I read that email I have been chopping away in earnest! I spent two hours on it today: the outline has been reworked, finished text revised, and the research continues. This is so much fun. I love doing research. (Sick, I know.)


     I have also had the AMAZING good fortune to be accepted to the Submissions Team for FictionMagazines.com, a very cool website dedicated to all things fiction. http://www.fictionmagazines.com/ All works that appear in all the magazine categories is reviewed and voted on by the Submissions Team, only then is it published in the magazines. You can buy a subscription on the website, or just visit and read some samples in the archives before making your choice. (New Realms has some epic fantasy work, though. If you're a fantasy fan, take a look!)


     My Cookbook Mania order has been put in at the library, and soon I will begin reading, reviewing, probably salivating, and testing recipes so I can give you all honest reviews of the content. While you wait for the pros, here's one of my recipes (all made up by me all by myself, lol)


Vegetable Soup with Rice


2 c chicken broth
1 c rice (uncooked) (I used medium grain white rice)


2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium to large onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves of garlic (diced)
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4 small or 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 c frozen cut green beans
2 Tbs dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
4 c chicken broth
1 medium zucchini, diced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper


In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth to boiling; add 1 c rice and turn heat down to a low simmer, cover, and cook until rice is soft (but not mushy!), about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.


In your soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add chopped onions and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and celery, stir briefly, and let cook 5 minutes, until soft but garlic isn't browned.


Add carrots; cook until tender, 8 minutes. Add green beans and cook until thawed (5 minutes? Mine were precooked). Add thyme, bay, tomatoes and broth and cook 10 minutes. Finally, add zucchini, salt and pepper, and cook an additional 5 minutes or so, until zucchini are tender but not mushy. Stir the cooked rice into the pot, and voila! Vegetable soup with rice :) Serve with New York Extra-Sharp Cheddar and warm bread, or at least nice crusty bread.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On