What's for dinner?

Tonight in the Perkins house it's: Thyme-Scented Honey-Glazed Pork Roast with Cider-Stewed Parsnips, Potatoes and Pears


This is one of mine...but I'm sure others have made this, or a version of it.


1 5lb boneless pork roast
3 Anjou pears, quartered, cores removed, and cut into 1inch chunks
3 medium parsnips, quartered and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
olive oil
salt, pepper, and dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 cup apple cider
honey


* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* In a 9x13 casserole dish, place your piggy roast, fat side up. Arrange parsnips, potatoes and pears around, but don't cover the roast.
* Drizzle veggies with olive oil; sprinkle meat and veggies with salt, pepper and dried thyme. (I'm of the opinion that when it comes to thyme, more is always better, but that's just me.)
* Use a spoon to gently toss veggies to coat with the oil and seasonings.
* Pour cider into bottom of casserole dish.
* Drizzle honey over veggies and roast (generously over roast); don't stir veggies this time.
* Cover with foil and roast at 350 degrees for 40 minutes; test for doneness (a meat thermometer will read 165 degrees) --if it needs more time, check every ten minutes. The cider will keep everything moist, but there's still the risk of a dried out piggy roast. Ick.
* Let the roast stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving.


I have also made this in a slow cooker:
* Place veggies (and pear) in the bottom of a slow cooker, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with seasonings and toss to coat.
* Place roast, fat side up, on top of veggies, sprinkle with seasonings and drizzle with honey (generously)
*Pour cider into cooker, cover, and cook on low heat 6 hours. This is simply lovely to come home to at the end of the day: your house smells soooooo good, and dinner's waiting for you and your family, instead of the other way around.


(And if I could get Blogger to load my photos, I would have given you step by step images. I'm going to have my tech-guy husband try to sort this out, because a blog without pictures is just no fun. And because I have an adorable tea tray that I made ALL BY MYSELF that I want to share...and I can't. Gr. Anyway, enjoy your dinner!!!! Oh, and the apple chips from Hello Natural? They were FABULOUS! My five year old LOVED them. He was even nice enough to share.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On