Hello!

I feel like I've been gone for ages....wait...I have. Ug. This 'working mom' thing has got me beat, but I'm managing. My family is still fed, my house is (moderately) clean...on second though, no, it's a dump. But at least my family is being fed! Seriously though, work is going very well, and I really enjoy spending time with the senior citizens I work with. I'm just not used to being away from home all day. So because I'm running around like a chicken with her head cut off, I've been relying on my slow cooker to keep things going. Here, from Melissa d'Arabian's "Ten Dollar Dinners" is the most amazing chicken soup EVARRRRR! My family loved it so much there weren't any leftovers.




Ingredients
  • 3 chicken thighs, skin removed (I used boneless skinless chicken breasts)
  • 10 -ounce can diced tomatoes
  • with green chiles
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 20 tortilla chips
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Directions
Place the chicken, tomatoes (and juices), beans, broth, water, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and chili powder in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Uncover the slow cooker and use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot. Once cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred, then return the meat to the pot. Stir in the lemon juice. Crumble a few tortilla chips into each bowl and cover with some soup. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and grated cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On