Looking for a break.....

   I'm at the end of day 3 of a seven day stretch at work....WHAT was I thinking offering to work tomorrow??? Surprisingly, I'm not very tired (I say that now; wait until I sit down with a book in another half an hour). It helps that dinner was a cinch: we had slow-cooker pork tacos last night, and there are plenty of leftovers and people (guys) in this house that love tacos. Dinner done. (I had chips and hummus. Bad Cole. ...and beer. Badder Cole.)
     So far the week is going well (my boss is on vacation, so along with working a week straight I'm also running without guidance, gods help us all), and I know next week my paycheck is going to be nice and shiny-wonderful, but what about my household? My teenagers are fairly self-sufficient. My husband works even more than I do, but what about my little guy? He's still adjusting to Momma being away from home; his whole little life, until this January, I was home with him every day. And now? He goes to Grandmom's most mornings to play, read, watch tv, and just in general have the fun kids do at grandma's, then his Daddy picks him up, and eventually Momma comes home. While he loves seeing his Grandmom every day, I know my Little Bit is having some separation issues. Case in point: every morning he asks if he has to go to Grandmom's. When the answer is 'yes' he gives a rather resigned sigh, and we get moving. On those few days when the answer is 'no,' he gives a whoop, Daddy and I both get a big squeeze, and then Little Bit heads into the kitchen so he can make tea 'for me and Momma to have in bed.' It's already been decided that Monday NOTHING is happening, except a trip to the library in the afternoon. Little Bit and I are having a pajama day. A sleep-as-late-as-we-want day. Perhaps an ice cream for lunch day. Because we can. Maybe we'll even make our own......


Dairy-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream


The key ingredient in both of these recipes is a frozen banana.  I couldn’t believe how smooth and creamy just blending up a frozen banana by itself could be.  I made mine in a food processor, but if you had a really strong blender, you could probably do it in that also.  I blended:
  • 1 1/2 frozen bananas
  • 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 2-3 Tbsp Chocolate Almond Milk
That is it!  This will make about 2 servings. Blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy.  When you are done the texture should be similar to soft-serve ice cream.  If you like it a little more frozen, place in a dish or freezer safe tupperware and freeze for an hour or so.  This is SO good.  Sweet, creamy – way better than most ice cream I have had and much healthier!

Raspberry and Cream Banana Ice Cream


To make this, blend in a food processor:
  • 1 1/2 frozen bananas
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (We'll probably make blueberry or strawberry. Or both)
  • 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
Blend until smooth and creamy.  Eat immediately or place in the freezer for a harder consistency.  This flavor is creamy and delicious, but also refreshing!

Both of these recipes are going to give your kids a lot more nutrients than just regular ice cream and without all of the added sugar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On