Library Loot #9: Russian History is alive...

...and well in Simon Sebag Montefiore's historic masterpiece The Romanovs: 1613-1918. I've read biographies on Catherine the Great and Tsar Nicholas and his family (really, who hasn't heard of at least Grand Duchess Anastasia?) but I haven't read the story of the founding of the dynasty and all the people that came before Catherine, and after up to Nicholas. I haven't finished the book, but what an immense, colorful, checkered history of murder, deceit, and the few who struggled to do what was truly right not just for the country but for its people. It makes me wish I had a dash of Russian heritage. Oh well, one can dream, and read on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On