Ellie's Kitchen: Curried Chicken Sweet Potato Soup

   I was banging around the kitchen a little while ago trying to figure out what to do for dinner tonight as I need to do some grocery shopping. We've got some leftover burgers in the refrigerator, but not enough to make a filling dinner for five (three of which are adults). It has literally just occurred to me that I could have made some kind of hamburger soup, but seeing as how I just made curried chicken soup, I guess I'll wait and try that one tomorrow night, unless my oldest son takes the burgers in to work tonight for his 4:00 AM lunch break. (Night shift people have weird hours).

   I love soup: it's generally fast, usually easy, and nothing says comfort like a tummy full of lovely warm soup. My husband is slightly less enamored of it, as he's a hard-working man that is always on the go while at work (and at home, chasing after our boys). He likes soup, but it doesn't always fill him up enough, so often when I make soup I cook up some chicken or sausage for him to have on the side. A survey of the refrigerator half an hour ago revealed three chicken breasts I had seasoned with curry powder and cooked up the other day (I had more than I needed for a slow-cooker recipe for cranberry BBQ chicken, so the only reasonable action was of course to coat the remaining chicken breasts with curry and bake them...), a large sweet potato, apple cider, and some Yukon gold potatoes. I could get creative with that....

   Onions, chicken broth, and a Granny Smith apple rounded out my mad scientist collection, and I got to work. Remember that my chicken was already cooked, so if you decide to make this and don't have cooked chicken on-hand, it will take longer than fifteen minutes.

Curried Chicken Sweet Potato Soup

1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium Granny Smith apple, cut into chunks
1 large sweet potato,cut into chunks
1 medium Yukon gold  potato, cut into chunks
4 C. chicken both
1 C. apple cider
3 cooked chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs), preferably
seasoned with curry powder
2 tsp additional curry powder (or more; go with what you like)

* In your favorite soup pot, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onion. Saute over medium heat until translucent; add apple, potatoes, chicken broth and cider, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Let simmer 15 minutes.
* While soup is simmering, trim and dice/shred chicken. (I usually trim it before cooking but I was lazy that day...)
* Check potatoes for doneness. If soft, puree with an immersion blender, or ladle into a stand blender and puree until smooth. Add chopped/shredded chicken and the 2 tsp curry powder and stir to mix well. Reheat on low to warm the chicken all the way through.

Notes from Cole: I found this didn't need any extra salt or pepper, but season however you would like. Add 2 Tbs of curry if that's your thing! I served this with a simple salad of greens and Granny Smith apple and some extra sharp Cheddar cheese (Cabot is our favorite).

   I am so proud of me! I created a soup recipe! (Well, maybe not. I'm sure there's a recipe like this kicking around on the internet somewhere...but I didn't go looking!)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On