~ Winifred M Letts
I do be thinking God must laugh
The time He makes a boy;
All element the creatures are,
And divilmint and joy.
Careless and gay as a wad in a window,
Swift as a redshanks, and wild as a hare;
Heartscalds and torments--but sorra a mother
Has got one to spare.
~ Aline Kilmer
- OVER the limp and sallow grasses,
- Deborah, will you walk with me?
- You may gather gentians in purple masses
- And honeypods from the locust tree.
- Brown leaves cover the partridge berry,
- Holding it safe for your eager hand.
- Barberry bright and cornelian cherry
- Offering scarlet jewels stand.
- I shall dress you up as an elf-queen, twining
- Bittersweet wreaths for your golden head;
- Your leaf-brown cloak with its orange lining
- I shall hang with garlands yellow and red.
- Let us leave this place while the sunlight lingers
- Lest the elves should covet your beauty bright.
- The gentians fall from your tired fingers
- As I carry you home through the fading light.