Poems of Home


Home [“Often I had gone this way before”]
By Edward Thomas





Often I had gone this way before:

But now it seemed I never could be

And never had been anywhere else;

'Twas home; one nationality

We had, I and the birds that sang,

One memory.

 

They welcomed me. I had come back

That eve somehow from somewhere far:

The April mist, the chill, the calm,

Meant the same thing familiar

And pleasant to us, and strange too,

Yet with no bar.

 

The thrush on the oaktop in the lane

Sang his last song, or last but one;

And as he ended, on the elm

Another had but just begun

His last; they knew no more than I

The day was done.

 

Then past his dark white cottage front

A labourer went along, his tread

Slow, half with weariness, half with ease;

And, through the silence, from his shed
The sound of sawing rounded all


That silence said.






My Home by Ella Wheeler Wilcox


“Far from the city's dust and heat, I get but sounds and odours sweet.
Who can wonder I love to stay,
Week after week, here hidden away,
In this sly nook that I love the best--
This little brown house like a ground-bird's nest?”





Morning Windows

by Amos Russel Wells

The brightest thing a house can do,
When morning fills the skies,
Is just to catch the sun's first rays,
And flash the brilliant prize.
No eighty-candle lights within
Can match the dazzling sight,
And every window-pane becomes
A fusillade of light!
Thus, thus it is when households kneel
In humble morning prayer.
The very Sun of Righteousness
Is caught and captured there:
And all the day, in all its ways,
However dull they be,
The happy windows of that home
Are scintillant to see!





Poems from:
The Poetry Foundation
https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/inspire-me/just-for-fun/the-best-home-themed-poems
https://discoverpoetry.com/poems/poems-about-home/


The Rendezvous - Picture of The Rendezvous, Turners Falls ... A fixture of my hometown....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On