So. Much. TV.

    I've never been much of a TV person. Even as a kid I was more likely to pick up a book, unless Voltron, The Pirates of Dark Water, or The Mysterious Cities of Gold was on (anyone remember that one? No? Gods I'm old.)






In middle- and high school I was a devoted fan of Robin of Sherwood, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and The Highlander. Then I found La Femme Nikita, and then Witchblade and Dark Angel premiered (and then tanked after two seasons each. Much sadness.), and Kingdom Hospital only lasted one season...I'm seeing a pattern here.




   I've been watching quite a bit of television lately; well, for me, anyway! Every Wednesday we pile on the couch with takeout and watch The Masked Singer. It looked like it was going to be a fun show, but it's even better than I expected. Family-friendly, funny, and with great music (mostly...Rob Gronkowski cannot sing!) Scrolling through On Demand one night Josh and I found the Showtime series Penny Dreadful (3 season, 2014 to 2016). Nineteenth century literature is my love, especially gothic lit, so a show featuring literary characters, creepy gothic overtones, and luscious costumes...yes, thank you. I mean, look at Billie Piper in this dress!!!:
 and doesn't Reeve Carney look sharp? A similar series I enjoyed via dvd from my library was Ripper Street (2012-2016). Post-Jack the Ripper London was still terrorized by gruesome murder and mayhem, according to the show's writers. (Really, I don't doubt it.) When The Alienist premiered in 2018 I was thrilled. I read Caleb Carr's book the preceding year--the cover looked interesting--and loved it.
The Alienist takes place in New York City, but the nature of the crimes causes investigators to wonder if Jack had gone stateside (which was an actual question in the investigation of some American murders of the time period. I am beginning to worry about how much I know about Jack the Ripper. Did I mention I read Hallie Rubenhold's book The Five about Jack's known victims?)

Another "Saucy Jacky" connection, and a look at the darker side of the nineteenth century.




I have only watched two episodes of The Alienist. I didn't want to get too far ahead because I know Josh will like it also, and it's more fun watching TV snuggled up to him that all by my lonesome. Sadly, it only lasted for 10 episodes, but I understand that TNT has started filming a sequel based on Caleb Carr's sequel The Angel of Darkness. In the meantime, I think I'll treat myself to the books while I wait. As an aside, I also tried to read Carr's fantasy novel The Legend of Broken, but couldn't get into it (very odd for me!) If anyone has read it, let me know your thoughts and I'll give it another try.
   I'm two episodes into Season 3 of Penny Dreadful, and then Josh and I will jump over to The Alienist. Apparently there is a spin-off Penny Dreadful series called The City of Angels, placed in 1930's Los Angeles. Call me picky but I'm not interested, despite the fact that Natalie Dormer stars in it. It's probably because of the time period.

  Keeping with the book/television connection, I am woefully embarrassed to admit that we still have to finish Game of Thrones. Yes, it ended forever ago, I know! We only made it to season 5, probably only four or five episodes in. I am extremely fortunate that I am still able to work during this time, and for a facility that has the safety of its employees at the top of its priorities. If I were home, I would no doubt be caught up on everything (all of which is off-air. Talk about arriving fashionably late.) No worries of ever running out of stuff to watch, though. Thanks to On Demand I can find pretty much every episode of Ghost Hunters I want! Also, thanks to Pintrest my To Watch list keeps growing (...thanks Pintrest...). Around the World in 80 Days starring David Tennant based on Jules Verne's book; Gentleman Jack (based on the diaries of Ann Lister), BBC One's Dracula (thank you Mr. Stoker), The Last Kingdom based on Bernard Cornwell's series, The Luminaries adapted from Eleanor Cotton's novel, as well as Belgravia, The Nevers, and Miss Scarlet and the Duke are all on my watch list, and I can't wait to fire up the popcorn maker and hit go.

(I will however, behave myself and restrict TV time to after I have sent out at least ten queries to agents. Can't only watch the drama and drool over costumes!)

All images from Google...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On