Lulu's Library #1

Lulu's Library, offering you reviews, descriptions, and thoughts on children's literature:

The Curious Garden by Peter Brown

One of my son's favorite things about this book is that he and the lead character have the same name. That being said, this is a beautiful book with winsome illustrations by the author about a boy who lives in a concrete-and-brick city where people rarely go outside. Liam likes to, though, and on his many ramblings he discovers a mysterious staircase. And at the top of that staircase Liam finds a garden as curious about the city as he is...and they live happily ever after.

A World of Food by Carl Warner

My sister, who is a chef and baker, found this book, performed a happy dance in the bookstore, and gave it to my boy for his birthday. I believe there are other titles in this collection, and I really should look them up because we read this book at least 4 times a week. Aside from gorgeous photos of amazingly arranged food landscapes, the story is written in rhyme, each landscape focused on color. And at the end, Carl Warner reminds children how amazing it is to live in a world of many colors, foods, and tastes. On our first grocery shopping trip after reading this book, my Liam was so interested in everything, pointing out new-to-him fruits and veggies, and even asking about nutrition.

Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter Yarrow ; Illustrated by Eric Puybaret


I must admit, this story/song is not a favorite of mine. Eric Puybaret's illustrations are beautiful, though, and Liam and I had a good time looking over each page and pointing out the things we liked. (I particularly liked the dolphins in their striped pajamas.) Our copy came with a cd, performed by Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary; some libraries my have this particular copy, but if not, the pictures are worth checking out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On