Welcome to the home of Nicole Kapise-Perkins, author, poet, reader, reviewer, tea drinker, believer in magick and myth, a dreamr that walks through darkly Gothic halls in sweeping skirts seeking mystery, meaning, her cat, and the occasional chocolate biscuit.
September 9-15 is Suicide Prevention Week
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Tell your loved ones you love them, tell your friends you care, and tell all of them that you are there for them. Love saves lives.
My English homework for this week is to create a writing prompt, post some readings that support said prompt, and then of course, write something based on that same prompt. I decided to pursue found poems, and then proceeded to go overboard. One of the resulting poems was 4 pages long, with another 2 of reference material (because I had to cite where the lines came form; don't want to be accused of plagiarism!) The other poem was only one page, but as I took lines form my much-loved copy of The Dovekeepers (written by the incomparable Alice Hoffman) I had to remind myself that I was only looking up random lines, not reading the whole book. My search for poets to include as reading sources led me to Carie Juettner's AMAZING website: https://cariejuettner.com/?s=book+title+poems I didn't make my poems this way, but I intend to give this a try as soon as possible! So, without any more preamble, I ...
not that I ever should have left, but sometimes those repeated rejection letters and emails just get to me, and I take a break. Tonight I submitted three stories to three different magazines within one publishing group. I shall keep them nameless at present, but will venture to say that this publishing group has a hugely successful readership, and publishes for several age groups. Hence, three different magazines. (They publish more than three, but those were the only ones my work was appropriate for. At present, anyway.) Tomorrow I'll print another to send via snail mail (yes, some publishers do still accept hard copy. Amazing.) and in coming days will try to finish and subsequently polish a historical romance I've been working on for a couple years now so I can get that off into the ether as well. And for the record, I do not read romance, historical or otherwise. Anyone that knows me will tell you that not only do I not care for it, I LOATHE it, and think it is a waste of ...
I have been neglecting you, and I apologize. I am adjusting to yet another work schedule, and trying to find some sort of balance between the work I (have to) do with the work I want to do. It's not working. Please excuse the awful pun. But, all that aside. It's April!! That most beautiful springtime month, month of rain showers, fuzzy green leaf buds, and the first shy violets. (It's also the month of my birthday, which may explain my affinity.) However, it is also National Poetry Month! (Readers know how much I love poetry. New readers will learn.) Carl Sandburg(1878-1967), Illinois poet, folksinger, and biographer of Abraham Lincoln, has always been more admired by the public than by the critics. And that is as he would wish, for he said of himself "I am the people - the mob - the crowd - the mass." Before his death, the former hobo had won almost every prize a writer can receive. In Good Morning, America (1928), he wrote thirty-eight definitions of p...
Comments
Post a Comment