Lulu's Library #2

Goatilocks and the Three Bears by Erica S. Pearl
This is hands-down, one of the funniest books you will ever read. If there is a person in your house that can affect an outraged southern-granny accent while reading Baby Bear's lines, so much the better. Goatilocks is the kind of book I wish I had written.


My New Friend Is So Fun! by Mo Willems

We are a Mo Willems household. We love the Pigeon books (can't wait for the next one!!) and Elephant and Piggie are just about the best pals any beginning reader could have. There are 25 of these books altogether, and I think we've only missed four...in fact I'll be ordering them from my library after I post this, having just looked the entire list up on Amazon. The text is simple, the stories laugh-out-loud funnie (check out Listen to My Trumpet) and the books are the perfect size for little fans to carry a couple copies around with them. With Mo around, you really can't go wrong. :)

Henry Builds a Cabin by D.B. Johnson
I have a confession to make: I find US history incredibly boring. World history, ancient history, yep, I'll dive right in. US history, not so much. (This is especially terrible considering I live only an hour away from Lexington. And no, I've never been to the battlefield.) Certain persons in history, however, do capture my interest, such as Louisa May Alcott, and her Concordian neighbor, Henry David Thoreau. My children do not know about my aversion to US history, and thanks to D.B. Johnson's excellent 'Henry' books, they won't. Henry Builds a Cabin is about a bear named Henry who one day decides to leave the center of the town of Concord and build himself a cabin in Walden Woods. He has several visitors while he's hard at work: his friends Emerson and Alcott stop by to lend a hand, and Miss Lydia (of the Lydia Maria Child persuasion) stops by to critique his dancing hall. Informative and fun, this set of books (other titles include Henry Works, Henry Hikes to Fitchburg, Henry Climbs a Mountain, and Henry's Night) is a wonderful way to introduce children to history...and even parents who find it boring will manage to enjoy the stories.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On