Fast and Easy Weeknight Dinner!

   My husband and our boy have Taekwondo classes twice a week, and once school starts up again next week our son will also have his after-school program to attend. Evenings are about to get crazy. This is the time of year where I start doing single-pan dinners, as they are fast, easy, and filling. I don't dare ask what they want for dinner, because the inevitable answer will either be pizza or barbecue kielbasa. Ordinarily I would say barbecue kielbasa is fine, because who doesn't love barbecue, right? Well, this particular barbecue doesn't refer to the act of barbecuing, but to kielbasa pan-seared and then drowned in BBQ sauce and served with baked pierogis. It is probably the unhealthiest dinner I have ever put in front of my family and they LOVE IT. Ew.
   Taste of Home presented me with a solution to this issue, by showing me that I can oven-roast kielbasa. Why I needed a magazine to tell me that I have no idea. Apparently I am not as bright as I like to think I am. Per usual, I fiddled around with the recipe: added beets and butternut squash, and took out summer squash and zucchini. Sometimes I add Brussels sprouts, just because I can. Liam eats most of the vegetables, and Josh eats everything, even the beets, which he hates.




Ingredients

  • 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 medium beets, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 c. butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Dijon mustard, optional 

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400°. Divide sweet potatoes, onion, carrots, beets, and squash between 2 greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Add kielbasa to pans; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving bowl; toss to combine. If desired, serve with mustard.
 
Originally published as Kielbasa and Roasted Vegetables in Taste of Home June/July

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellie@Home 2020 Summer Reading List

Beauty for Your September Morning...

Carrying On